Summary of Position:
We are seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented and personable Graphic Designer to work with the Communications team at Transportation Alternatives on a series of exciting projects correlating with our peak event season and End of Year fundraising campaign. The Graphic Designer reports to the Art Director and assists in designing and/or overseeing all project phases that require graphic design work on both print and digital platforms. This includes the design of print collateral, digital assets, and apparel design. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working on-site.
This position is equal parts production design and creative design. An ideal candidate is an independent contractor/freelancer who is passionate about advocacy work and cause marketing. You like getting your hands dirty in the details. Your role is integral to effectively communicating TransAlt’s mission online and amplifying the voice of our advocates to make streets better and safer for every New Yorker.
Timeframe & Hours:
- 8-24 hours/week
- February - September 2019
- Hours will vary depending on workload
- Designing communications for both print and web
- Upholding a high standard of design for all of our visual communications
- Ensuring consistency of TransAlt branding across communications vehicles
- Coordination of design projects across print and web platforms
- Working with design consultants/interns and printing/material vendors
- Working closely with Art Director and Communications team on publications, marketing materials, e-communications, and websites
- Develop and support flexible design tools (templates, etc) that make TransAlt staffers more self-sufficient – and free you up to work on the fun stuff!
- Research new design solutions and apply them to problems
- Research new print vendors as necessary
- 2-6 years experience in a junior to mid level design role
- Must be self-directed and able to manage projects from concept to completion
- Excellent visual design and typography skills
- Experience designing for the web and digital/social media platforms
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop specifically)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and adapt to changing project requirements
- Experience taking a creative concept and adapting it for a wide variety of touch points
- Managing relationships with print vendors and consultants
- Dedication to hard work in a professional, ethical and fun workplace
- Experience working with a non-profit organization
- Experience working for an advocacy organization affiliated with transportation
- Experience with Trello or other collaboration/project management tools
- Experience with HTML, CSS, content management systems like Drupal or WordPress
- Experience with social media ad campaigns
- Experience with Sketch Values:
- Commitment to NYC
- Comfort working independently in a flexible and fast-paced campaign environment
- A passion for TransAlt’s mission
- A sense of humor
- $15-$20 an hour based on experience
Please send cover letter, resume, and portfolio link to
job_applications[at]transalt[dot]org with “Freelance Graphic Designer” in the subject line. No phone calls or walk-ins, please. Must be a resident and/or eligible to work in the U.S. Applicants MUST include a cover letter and portfolio link in order to be considered for this opportunity. Applicants without a cover letter and/or portfolio will NOT be considered.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference.