- SERMONSFORSAFESTREETS.ORG Join religious leaders of every faith in every borough on the weekend of November 16 - 18 to commemorate World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims. Imagine if all peoples and all religions come together as one, to pray for a day when there are no more senseless deaths and injuries due to reckless driving. All faith leaders can use their pulpits, prayers and programming to remind communities it is up to each and every one of us to make sure this happens, that we are all responsible for each other and must: slow down pay attention and support solutions…
- Join Families for Safe Streets as we remember those killed and seriously injured in traffic crashes in NYC, the United States and around the globe. Roads have stories: Together we mourn, together we remember and together we demand solutions that save lives.
- Many of us have jumped into a campaign mid-stream, learned the ropes, and even triumphantly won important changes. Many of us have also struggled to take those victories and transition them to the next big thing. Join this training to learn what it takes to start something entirely new, grow momentum, and attract a critical mass of supporters. What it takes to start a campaign is often entirely different than what it takes to finish one! Free.
- Skilled TransAlt organizers return to the complicated subject of how New York City politics works in real life. This training makes accessible the inner workings of the county committees, political club, and even judgeships, and how these interact with the decisions of community boards, elected officials and city agencies. Understanding how politics in NYC works is the first step to understanding how to win campaigns and make change. Free.
- Families for Safe Streets Injury and Loss Support Community. Have you been injured or lost a loved one in a traffic crash? Let's join together before the winter chill sets in and the holiday bells start ringing. Relish in this unique opportunity to be immersed in beautiful sounds - and learn how sound can be an important relaxation and healing technique for our minds, bodies, and souls. No musical experience necessary. And as always, we'll have ample time for meeting new members, chatting about resources and sharing support, especially before the holiday season.
- Every campaign is working to win the support of key decision makers -- these are people, often elected officials (but not always!) -- who can help make our campaign goals a reality. What factors into their decisions? Join this workshop as we dig deeper into the question “Who is the key decision maker, and what makes them tick”? Free.
- Any successful campaign has leaders who are able to convincingly convey their messages to the press. But talking to the press can be easier said than done. Attend this training to learn how to effectively message to the media, speak confidently to the camera, and get your point across to key audiences. Free.
- Powerful, pointed research is essential for any campaign. But what makes research practical? Join TransAlt’s resident researcher as we learn how to direct our research questions to amplify our campaigns. Learn how to identify research that can be done with your community group, garner media attention, and inspire people to take to the streets to demand change. Free.
- TransAlt organizers have seen it all. And if you’ve ever left a community meeting feeling confused, disempowered, dejected, or alienated, it’s likely because some participants were practicing the “Dark Arts.” At this training, learn to recognize some common oppositional tricks used by opponents of safer, more people-friendly streets (as well as WHY they can be effective). The good news is that every strategy has a counter-strategy, so come to this training to really be prepared for anything. Free.
111 John Street, Suite 260 (subject to change)
Families for Safe Streets Injury Support Community. Been injured in a crash? Join us for a facilitated workshop as we explore writing as a powerful tool for healing. Not a writer? This evening is meant for you too! No writing experience necessary and exercises can be done in whatever language you prefer. Appropriate whether your crash was recent or long ago.