Transportation Alternatives encourages cyclists, pedestrians, and skaters to know and follow the all applicable laws of the road. Rather than attempt to list all the laws ourselves, we guide you to some relevant links.
One suggestion: print out a list of laws, and keep it in your bike bag. Then, if an officer tries to ticket you for doing something that's not illegal, you have something to point to. For more practical tips, see our Cycling: Legal Advice section.
New York City including all boroughs
- New York City Traffic Rules and Regulations That Apply to Bicycles (PDF) Official NYC DOT website
- An official copy of complete New York City Traffic Rules (PDF)
- Searchable Database of the Laws of New York City
- The Prospect Park Alliance includes car-free hours, road rules for the loop, etc.
New York State
Sharing the Road Safely: New York State Bicycle and Pedestrian Laws
NYS Department of Transportation FAQ format with links to relevant New York State code. Lists the pertinent NYS laws pertaining to bicycles. This site pretty much duplicates the brochure "SHARING THE ROAD SAFELY" put out by the DOT.
York State Government Information Locator Service
The NYS ILS provides a single point of access to information services provided by New York State Government agencies, the State Legislature and the Judiciary. The ILS is jointly operated by the New York State Archives and Records Administration and the New York State Library.
York State Vehicle And Traffic Laws for bikes and inline skates
Posted by the Governor's Traffic Safety Committee
York State Vehicle and Traffic Law (complete)
From the NYS Assembly Web site. Scroll down to "VAT."
Other Metro Areas
- New Jersey State Legislature
- Title 39: Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation New Jersey
- New Jersey Permanent Statutes Database [see 39:4-11, 39:4-14.1, 39:4-14.2]
- Connecticut General Statutes
- Title 14, Chapters 246-248 Connecticut
- The USDOT's Federal Highway Administration Intermodal and Statewide Programs Division is responsible for promoting bicycle and pedestrian transportation use and safety.
- Helmet Laws around the country
- List of State Bike Laws includes all U.S. state laws, by state. Compiled by League of American Bicyclists.
- Maryland DOT Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Florida Legislature Bicycle regulations
- Wisconsin DOT Bicycle safety tips and laws
- The Ohio DOT has an extensive bicycle resource page including laws, bike paths, and several informative PDFs available for download.
- Laws Pertaining to Massachusetts Cyclists Posted by MassBike